Saturday, October 31, 2009

Being responsible or commitment phobic?

My boyfriend and I have been together for 2 years, friends for three years prior. Both in our mid 20s and full time students. I am his first serious girlfriend, and in the beginning of the relationship we took things slow. I am very much in love with him and I know he loves me. The problem is, he doesnt want to move in with me, where Im ready to make some sort of commitment. Hes struggled financially w/ bills, rent, and past school loans and has taken up his parents%26#039; offer to stay with them until he could pay off some debt. He wasnt thrilled about this, but it was sensible for him to do. I have brought up the idea of us moving in together and he says he wants to wait until we are both financially stable, which I understand. However, he never speaks of a future with me. He has never spoken of marriage or future plans that involve me. I really love him and want to be patient; I%26#039;m willing to wait things out if he really wants to be with me. I fear that if I bring this up I will seem pushy



Being responsible or commitment phobic?

Don%26#039;t force things, you will probably stay together longer if you aren%26#039;t always around each other and give each other some space



Being responsible or commitment phobic?

Only he knows why he won%26#039;t move in %26amp; what he sees for the future...talk with him about it. Don%26#039;t push, but gently get him to open up about what he wants from the relationship and life, in general.



And, I know you didn%26#039;t ask, but living together is a bad idea anyway...especially if you want to marry him eventually. You need to have time apart, as you%26#039;re more likely to take each other for granted if you live together. You%26#039;re also a lot less likely to make it to the altar because cohabitation provides all of the benefits of married life with few of the responsibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Egg donation © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting