Wednesday, May 26, 2010

What is a college degree worth ???

I hear the news and read the articles talking about how those people who obtain a degree make x% more than their peers who don%26#039;t go to college. I understand how they come up with this, however I look at my situation, and those around me and I just don%26#039;t see it.



I went to school for 3 years, I dropped out and now I%26#039;m now working for a national association and making more than enough money to support myself and my family. My employer knows that I don%26#039;t have a degree, and while he encourages me to get one he says that as long as I keep doing what I%26#039;m doing and using my %26quot;street smarts%26quot; to improve the business, he%26#039;ll keep me around.



I have friends who graduated, some who went on to get their masters degree, and most of them are still bar-tending, working for a family business, or working as management in retail stores with no benefits...all while paying off 40-60k in school loans...so my question is.... Is a degree as important as people say it is ?



What is a college degree worth ???

If I get an MBA from Harvard, and then I go apply for jobs as a bartender and accept one of those jobs and tend bar for 10 years; does that mean an MBA from Harvard is worthless?



I%26#039;ve heard of those people too. Some just want to tend bar %26#039;cause that%26#039;s what they like. For the most part though, they tend bar because they won%26#039;t get off their behind and go apply for a better job or because they won%26#039;t go where good jobs are because they%26#039;re still living at home with mommy.



Talk to some of these underemployed folks who bemoan their employment. Ask, %26#039;how many better positions did you apply for this week?%26#039; and you are likely to hear %26#039;none - I can%26#039;t find any%26#039; which means %26quot;hey, somebody, just hand me a good job, I%26#039;m too lazy to go find one on my own%26quot;



It%26#039;s apples and oranges. A college degree doesn%26#039;t mean the holder is motivated to get up off his --- and do anything with it. A college degree also doesn%26#039;t mean that employers will knock down your door and beg you to come work for them. It%26#039;s a tool, one of many in your tool kit. If you have one, you can elect to use it - if you don%26#039;t have one then you can%26#039;t use it and have to find a substitute. You don%26#039;t have to use it though - you can be a homeless beach bum if that%26#039;s what you want to be. It%26#039;s just that simple.



Maybe, the degree isn%26#039;t as important as people say it is. Maybe the stats from the US Census that show clearly (every single time they%26#039;re computed) that %26#039;on average, the higher your education the more you tend to make%26#039; are just wrong. Maybe, but I%26#039;m not buying it. I%26#039;m going with the rule of averages and thinking that the more education I get, the more valuable my own human capital. Whether I do anything with that capital is entirely up to me.



What is a college degree worth ???

a great job



What is a college degree worth ???

It%26#039;s worth more than people say it is.



What is a college degree worth ???

Everybody%26#039;s situation is different. Generalizations should not be made about this matter.



PS- It%26#039;s not all about the money and/or status to everyone. Some people just enjoy being more knowledgeable about the world around them.



What is a college degree worth ???

that number is an average, it means some will fall on either side. just because you have a degree doesnt mean youll make more money, but it usually helps. congrats on being an exception to a rule



What is a college degree worth ???

No. Einstein was a dropout. Try reading %26quot;Rich Dad, Poor Dad%26quot; by Robert Kiyosaki.



The bank doesn%26#039;t care what your report card says, but they do care about how well you can write a business plan.



What is a college degree worth ???

Well it%26#039;s getting to be where even having an associates degree isn%26#039;t enough. College is very important and the importance is just getting bigger. A bachelor degree or higher is a must in these times unless you become your own boss or business owner. And its nice to know that your boss will keep you around but if you ever want to advance, get your bachelors.



What is a college degree worth ???

Yes it is important. If your boss%26#039; business ever decline would he still keep you %26#039;around%26#039; guaranteed?? While a degree doesn%26#039;t guarantee a job...it sure gives preference over someone who doesn%26#039;t have one.



What is a college degree worth ???

It depends.



If you have a degree, but are not able to %26quot;sell yourself%26quot; in an interview, then the answer is %26quot;No, it%26#039;s not worth it.%26quot;



If you have a degree, but can %26quot;sell yourself,%26quot; then of course it%26#039;s worth it.



What is a college degree worth ???

yes,don%26#039;t get my rong it sounds like your real good off but if got a degree you could be manger some day. You should try to go to college and get a degree and you could be at the top of the top.



What is a college degree worth ???

A degree in a field that is in demand is valuable. Any degree may be helpful.



Your lack of a degree may become an issue in a few years, when your ability to be promoted could be blocked by not having one. Or it could cause problems if you have to find another job.



There are always people who don%26#039;t have degrees that do well, and people who do have degrees that don%26#039;t do well. They are the exceptions, not the usual experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Egg donation © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting