Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I'm going to have $80,000 in student loans? Can you please tell me what you think?

my parents didnt want to help play for my schooling, they were being cheap, so I had to take out a student loan. I dont know what to do if I dont get a good paying job after college, please give me SOME GOOD ADVICE. I dont want to hear anything sarcasm becuase I%26#039;ll just flag you.



I%26#039;m going to have $80,000 in student loans? Can you please tell me what you think?

You really must major in something that will make you marketable. Nobody really tells you this in college, at least when I was there, I kind of got this notion that all majors were created equal.



False. You should decide if your major is one that is promising or one that is not so promising. If it is not too late, switch majors. If it is too late for that, I would just shoot for graduate school. Maybe in something different than what you majored in.



Anyway, so many people have college degrees these days. Having a postgraduate degree today is like a person having a college degree 30 years ago.



To decide which major you should take, you kind of need to already have an idea of what you want to do. Look at the job description of jobs you might be interested in. They will say something like: Ideal candidates will have expertise in (for example) chemistry, physics, and biology. then shoot for that.



Generally speaking, the easier the major is, the harder it will be for you distinguish yourself from everyone else. The converse of this rule is not true -- some majors are really difficult, (philosophy) but are not in demand at all.



Good luck.



I%26#039;m going to have $80,000 in student loans? Can you please tell me what you think?

try calling your lender that you got your student loan through, you may qualify for a rate reduction or maybe they would extend the term so you can afford the payments.



I%26#039;m going to have $80,000 in student loans? Can you please tell me what you think?

you can defer your loans until you can afford to start paying them back



also you can refinance, but be careful if you do that often that takes away your ability to defer



I%26#039;m going to have $80,000 in student loans? Can you please tell me what you think?

A lot of people are in the same boat. I think it%26#039;s a better choice to be in debt with a degree, than degree free with no debt. Make sure that you finish your degree program. Also make sure that your degree is going to be something that will be in demand when you graduate.



I%26#039;m going to have $80,000 in student loans? Can you please tell me what you think?

Be thankful that you have a long time to pay them off. As far as how.... you will have to do some VERY strict budgeting when you have to start paying them back. In fact you may want to start that budgeting stuff now, and go ahead and have a savings account set up so that you have s/thing to fall back on if needed.



Don%26#039;t blame your parents, a lot of people ahve to get student loans, personally I think it makes us all work a lot harderwhen we are the ones footing the bills and the parents. I am sure there is a reason they didn%26#039;t/couldn%26#039;t help you.



Good luck with the job search. And depending on what field you are going into you may want to consider graduate school... more money when you hit the job market.



I%26#039;m going to have $80,000 in student loans? Can you please tell me what you think?

Think of it this way: Even though you will have student loan debt to repay, your income potential is so much higher since you have a college education! If you don%26#039;t find a job right after college, you can defer your loans for 6 months, but I would not advise you to do that, because they still accrue interest while they%26#039;re in deferment. Just try not to stress out and instead focus on finding a good job and enjoy the time you have left in college, it goes by way too fast!



I%26#039;m going to have $80,000 in student loans? Can you please tell me what you think?

You didn%26#039;t say what your family%26#039;s financial condition is, where you live, whether the loans were all at once, or total over the years, though even for Harvard, I would presume the latter, etc, etc, etc.



In other words, you didn%26#039;t give enough info for anyone to give a specific answer, so sarcasm may be all you get!



And, given your ungrateful attitude toward this community and even your parents ($80k is not cheap by anyone%26#039;s standards), my guess is that everyone%26#039;s answer will be deemed sarcastic by you.



Regardless, I%26#039;m going to give it a shot.



Can you go to a 2-year community college, which will significantly reduce costs?



Can you work while going to college?



Did you check for scholarships, etc?



Did you ask your high school counselors for help?



Did you ask your future (or is it current?) college for help?



And, finally, ditch the %26#039;tude, dude!



The last thing you want is enemies when you%26#039;re drowning in debt!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Egg donation © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting